Last week Microsoft released its new operating system for Windows phone devices. A lot had been said about the new features and the new abilities. Now there is only one problem – the update rolled out only for developers and developer license cost money.
Well, you don’t have to buy a developer license to unlock your phone to receive developers update including Windows Phone 8.1, there is also a free way to do it.
Here are the steps to update your phone to Windows Phone 8.1:
1. Open your browser and navigate to AppStudio
2. Once there sign-in with your Microsoft account.
5. Press Create and then Finnish
6. Congratulations! You Microsoft Account is now listed as an App Developer.
7. Go to your Windows Phone Store and install the Preview For Developers App
8. After that start the app and then sign in with your Microsoft Account when asked to
9. Then – go to Settings -> Phone Update -> check for updates
10. You will receive a “minor” update that will go for about 15 min overall – Restart your phone
11. Finally –> go to Settings -> Phone Update -> check for updates and you will receive to big 8.1 update (it will take about 30 – 45 min of installation)
12. That’s it ! enjoy the new and awesome Windows Phone 8.1
Note: Cortana is only available for the US. To use Cortana you will need to change phone language to “English-US”. In some phone, for now, there is no options to set “English-US” as main phone language for cell phone outside of the United States and hopefully the manufacturers will release a new firmware with this little-big fix.
Senior IT consultant at AgileIT and Technology Deployment Specialist at Microsoft