[This blog was migrated. You will not be able to comment here.
The new URL of this post is http://khason.net/blog/dev411-wpf-for-developers-optimizing-your-wpf-application/]
Less, then 24 hours until Developer Academy 2 a lot of pressure and stress. Last fixes to my presentation – it's too long now. A lot of stuff, I want to speak about, a lot of demos (mostly very bad performing applications, I'm dealing with), three computers (one is really cool with 8.9 Vista score) and, of cause, a lot of code to write. But I have only 75 minutes to do it all. So, I have to think a lot about how to do it all together with such tight timeframe (do you remember? – 9:30)
What I'll speak about? I'll speak about cool luxury cars, really.
- First of all, the most common problem, WPF developers faced with – performance. No, WPF scales it, but you should know how to do it smart way.
- Next, practices. Yes, there are practices and it's worth to learn wisdom by the follies of others. So, I'll speak about those follies.
- Why sometimes, pixel is matter, and sometimes it is not?
- What two threads, you are working with? Are there really two? Where the application problems are lying?
- What is tier? How to measure it? How to know when I'm working with GPU and when with CPU? How to influence it?
- How much memory (either computer and graphic card) I need?
- What's the greatest evil of your WPF application (that is not your customer)?
- How to scale very large bitmaps or very large amount of controls?
- How to easily make data virtualization by your own hands?
- How to create your own UI threads? Yes – you can do it!
- How to make your ListBox x70 times smaller and faster, your data x20 smaller and x700 faster
- How manage layout and measurement engines
- How to do things in background without paying application fees
- How to manage dispatchers
- How to use visual and data performance measurement tools and how to analyze and profile unmanaged resources
- How to make your application starts x400 faster and load resources on demand
- How to load XAML without loading System.Xml.dll and using DOM or SAX
- How to run the same WPF application on P3 with 128MB RAM and internal graphic card and Core Duo 2 with 4GB RAM and GeForce 880 GTX and get the same behavior of fast running application
- …and much much more…
Waiting for you tomorrow at 9:30 AM (this is almost night, kind of morning) at Arbel hall of Avenue at Airport City near Ben Gurion airport. Come an hour before.