Installing Windows Server Backup on Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server Backup is not installed by default. You can use the Add Features Wizard in Server Manager to install it. After you use install Windows Server Backup, you can click Windows Server Backup on the Administrative Tools menu to manage backup operations, and you can use Wbadmin.exe to run backup commands from the command line.
You must also install the Windows PowerShell feature on the same computer to run Windows Server Backup command-line tools. If the Windows PowerShell feature is not installed when you select Command-line Tools during Windows Server Backup installation, you are prompted to install it.
Install Windows Server Backup using Powershell:
- The first line “get-windowsfeature *backup*” is in order to figure out the name of the backup feature to install.
Import Server-Manager Add-WindowsFeature Windows-Server-Backup
- Powershell output:
Install Windows Server Backup in the Server Manager
- Open Server Manager, click Manage and “Add Roles and Features”.
- Click next.
- Select the server you want to install something on and click next.
- Server Backup is a “Feature“, so just press next here or click “Features” in the left hand column.
- Scroll Down and select “Windows Server Backup“. Click Next.
- Review and click Install.
- Sit back and wait.
- You can view your task detail in Server Manager.