Pro .NET Performance

March 13, 2012

It is customary to apologize for a prolonged blog silence, so here goes: I’ve been very busy with three extremely interesting projects, one of which is the SELA Developer Practice that is very near. Here’s another:

It’s been more than five years since I wrote a SELA course called Effective C#, which quickly turned to another course called .NET Performance. Since then, I trained this course dozens of times, spoke about performance optimization at conferences, delivered a one-day summary at several tutorials and workshops. All along I was thinking that there is no single decent textbook that combines the deep dive into CLR internals I am teaching in the course with real tips for performance measurement and optimization. The time was ripe to write one.

I am very happy to announce that I am writing a book on .NET Performance! Together with Dima Zurbalev, my esteemed colleague and coauthor, we are trying to produce a relevant guide for seasoned .NET developers looking to improve the performance of their applications and understand much better how and why the CLR does things.

The chapter list is not set in stone, and we don’t have yet a cover to show off, but we’re looking at around 350 pages across the following chapters:

1. Performance Metrics
  2. Performance Measurement Tools
  3. Type Internals
  4. Garbage Collection
  5. Collections and Generics
  6. Concurrency and Parallelism
  7. Networking, I/O, and Serialization
  8. Unsafe Code and Interoperability
  9. Algorithm Optimization
  10. Performance Patterns
  11. Web Application Performance – guest chapter by Ido Flatow, an outstanding Web application expert and renowned international speaker

The book will be published by Apress around August (2012), somewhere before or near the release of Visual Studio 11 and .NET 4.5, which should be a very exciting time.

I am posting short updates and links on Twitter as well as on this blog. You can follow me: @goldshtn

1. GuestMarch 13, 2012 ב 2:01 PM

Wow ! This will be GREAT !

2. Marc ShermanMarch 13, 2012 ב 7:38 PM

Wow, looking forward to it! For chapters 1 and 2, will you be writing about .NET ETW providers and xperf?

Marc

3. Sasha GoldshteinMarch 15, 2012 ב 12:41 PM

@Marc: Yep, that’s part of the plan 🙂

4. RohitMarch 16, 2012 ב 7:01 AM

Can i ask you when your book will be available tentatively? Thanks

5. UdiMarch 18, 2012 ב 9:47 PM

Good luck!
    Looking forward to it!

6. Sasha GoldshteinMarch 25, 2012 ב 1:44 PM

@Rohit: Probably around August.

7. Patrick SmacchiaMarch 26, 2012 ב 10:50 AM

I’d be glad to help in proof reading such book 🙂 Let me know if I can help (psmacchia A.T google mail)

8. PavelApril 29, 2012 ב 12:38 PM

if you need a technical reviewer…

9. johnAugust 10, 2012 ב 7:14 PM

we already almost half way in august. Any update when book is coming out?

10. Sasha GoldshteinAugust 11, 2012 ב 12:49 PM

@john: The publication date currently listed on the Apress website is August 29. I suspect it might be slightly delayed, perhaps by two weeks. The book is 100% written though, we’re just reviewing page proofs now – so with a little patience it will be out soon 🙂

11. johnSeptember 12, 2012 ב 4:53 PM

Hey Sasha, Thanks for your response and my apologize in advance to keep bugging you (I am just too excited to get this book). Apress side has publication date of Sep 12 but doesn’t seem like its available yet. Do you have any update? Thanks again and sorry for been a pain 🙂

12. Sasha GoldshteinSeptember 13, 2012 ב 4:23 PM

@john: I can see it on Amazon, it seems to be shipping. AFAIK the book is now in print-on-demand, which means that you can order it from Amazon. The eBook edition should be available today/tomorrow.

13. johnSeptember 13, 2012 ב 5:04 PM

Hey Sasha, Unforutnately its still showing as “This title has not yet been released” on amazon.ca. That’s where I need it.

I am just too excited to have it in my hands otherwise waiting for few more days is not a big deal 🙂

14. Sasha GoldshteinSeptember 18, 2012 ב 4:37 PM

@john: I share your excitement! I don’t have a copy yet either. I bet you’re going to get yours in Canada before I can get mine to ship to Israel 🙂

15. PrasadFebruary 18, 2013 ב 10:34 PM

Sasha…. I have started reading your book and loving every bit of it…. awesome work… keep it up!