These are surely difficult times. Every day we keep hearing of new scandals, corruptions, companies going out of business and so forth. That brings me back seven years, to the year 2001 where companies went out of business, no new investments where made, people got fired and the market collapsed.
Remember? Those were times of uncertainty. Well, its back!
As a company, the management should take care of us the employees. The CEO should steer the boat to the right location. He should keep us safe. This is why he is the captain! So, as a company we put our trust in the CEO…and hopefully he knows what he is doing. My good friend always say:
"Do not worry about things you cannot change"
In a sense, he is right. There is so much one person can do to help a (big) company…so why warring about it?
On times like this, we should sit down and think. We need to think about how to insure our future. What do we bring to the organization / company? Can we improve ourselves? Can we put a little more efforts or contribute more?
This post is aimed to try and explain for you what I do in order to insure that I will be the last one to get fired from my company and the first one to find a new company.
Be The Last One To Be Fired
It is important to mentioned again that this is how I insure my future.
- Be the best you can at what you do – I know this should go with out saying but still I think I should say it. Everyday, try to be your best, don't do shortcuts, in the long run they will hart you. Build expertise on fields that are of values to your organization or to the target customers.
- Be an eager learner – Keep on learning and improving. I am an eager learner. I love new technologies and improving myself. I read over 100 RSS per day, 1 book per month and 1 article per day. Doing so allows me to lead my organization to new directions even though I am not the one to take these decisions. It allows the company to offer new services and etc. It allows the company to deliver better software.
- Be The Go to guy – Strive to be the go to guy. Make everybody know that you are the one they should go to when they have a question or a problem.
- Be a people person – People skills the one of the most important sparks one should have. Being a people person will allow you to know what is going on in the company. It will allow you to gain friends that may help you later.
- Establish Relations – good relations within your organization can help a lot. If you have good relations with your manager, he can back you up when time comes. It can help you progress and so forth.
- Establish a good reputation and make your marks – There is a saying that when a person dies, all that is left is his reputation. Ironically, when a person leaves or get fired from a work place, is much like he died. Try and make everybody to miss you. Try people think and say "we cannot do it without him", "he was good", "he did a good job", "he was an expert". Be the one that everyone thinks that "we cannot do without him". You reputation in the organization and outside it is very important to help you keep you job.
- Contribute to the organization – Find some extra credit tasks you can do and enjoy that will contribute to both the company and yourself. I lecture, help setting events and represent my company at big events on the industry.
Having listed all of the above, that does not guaranty anything. I cannot promise that you will be the last one to be fired, however it will surely help!
The most important thing to remember is that you need to be of big value to your organization. Do you consider yourself as one?