A few days ago I have encountered a very nice tool that is called “Team For Word”
Until now I have worked with the “Team Spec” that cost a license compares to this tool that is totally free and with an open source.
In the past few days I have worked a lot with the “Team For Word” on clients sites, we have tried to see if this tool can replace the “Team Spec” and the answer is not simple.
This tool has some abilities that”Team Spec” doesn’t have like presenting all the work items from a query with links and attachments, or gives you the ability to show an attachment from a work item, but it lacks the ability to get word texts and convert it to work items or it can’t get a balk of work items from TFS to word.
The list of abilities are:
- Connection to TFS 2008 (2010).
- Adding one or more property of an item of work in the Word document.
- Notification of the changed items in the document.
- Notification of items changed on the TFS server.
- Publication of all or part of the modification made in the document.
- To update the document with changes from the server.
- Pre-defined in TFS query execution.
- Modification of the TFS server or project in the document properties.
- Creating a work item.
- Create formatting model.
- Inserting template formatting.
- Editing a block of data by the content of another element of travail
- Opening a WI from the action panel
- Management of the iteration and area
- Improved management of differences between the document and TFS
- Adding synchronization boxes identical document
Note: The tool is in French so some of the words will not look familiar, I must say that I have zero knowledge in French and it didn’t bother me at all.
You can download the tool from here.
You can see a video on the tool here.
Here is a short Guide:
Note: You will need to use the word template that comes with the installation in order to use the tool
Step 1: Open the word from the template
Step 2: Connect to the server by clicking the “Connection” button
Step 3: The “Team For Word” will get all the work items from the project, you can now choose to see only work items from a query, you can update you query list with “Team Explorer” or Visual Studio and it will be shown here.
Note: The tool can only show “Flat Queries” and all the work items will be grouped by the Work Item Type.
You can now open explore the work items, you will be able to see that all the fields are sorted to a few folders, you can see the links and attachments too.
The word “Autre” in French is “Other” in English (Checked in the dictionary)
Step 4: You will need to add a new block using a Template you have created or the default one that was set for you by clicking “Insert a Block Template”.
In order to create a template you will need to do the following:
- Double click fields in order to show them in word
- Order them as you wish, I will recommend to create a Table for it
- Mark the Table for example and click “Add Template”
- Name your template
- Save it
Step 5: Mark the block you have just created
Step 6: Choose the work item you will like to insert, and click “Apply the WorkItem”
The work item will fill the block
You can also create new work Items by doing the following:
Step 1: Choose the Work Item Type to create from the dropdown list
Step 2: Click “Create of a workitem”
Step 3: Fill all the fields in the work item form especially the required fields
Step 4: Click the “Valider” button in order to save
The new work item will be sent to the server
Finding a Work Item:
Step 1: Click on the “Find a WI” tab
Step 2: Insert the work item ID
Step 3: Click “Search”
Update a Work Item From Word or To Word:
In order to update the work items from the server you will need to click on the “Refresh” button.
If changes where made you will see a list of them.
Right click a list item you will be able to do the following:
- Refresh – To see if the change is still valid
- Cancel – In case you have made a word Change that you don’t like to publish or a TFS change you don’t like to show in the document
- Update the document – In case it is a TFS change you like to show in the document
- Update the Workitem – In case it is a change you like to publish to TFS
- See the details – Will show you a comparison to see what was changed
In order to send changes to the TFS use the “Publish” button.