After going this week to the Microsoft performance open house, here are few things to consider:
- Create performance counters of your own to measure various statistics.
- Try to avoid using interfaces and virtual methods to supports inlining.
- If you use a "Contains" method on a collection of structs, be sure to override the "Equals" method, since the default Object.Eqauls method used boxing twice – once for the parameter and the once for "this".
- Similarly, you should override the GetHashCode methods for structs, since the default implementation for a struct is very inefficient.
- Use Perfmon.exe to monitor the "% time in GC" – a high value may indicate mid-life crisis.