Visual Studio 2008 SP1: New Assemblies in .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
There are several new assemblies in Service Pack 1 of .Net Framework 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008, I though I should be familiar with:
ADO.Net Entity Framework
- System.Data.Entity.dll – Contains the implementation of the ADO.Net Entity Framework as we've known it from previous Beta versions.
- System.Data.Entity.Design.dll – The Design-Time support for the Entity Data Model Designer and the entities code generation.
- System.Web.Entity.dll – Contains a new Data Source provider for ASP.Net called EntityDataSource.
- System.Web.Entity.Design.dll – The Design-Time support for the EntityDataSource.
ADO.Net Data Services Framework (project "Astoria")
- System.Data.Services.dll (was called Microsoft.Data.Web.dll when it was part of the ASP.Net 3.5 Extensions) – Contains the implementation of ADO.Net Data Services.
- System.Data.Services.Design.dll (previously Microsoft.Data.Web.Design.dll) – Since there is no visual designer for ADO.Net Data Services, this assembly contains the implementation of the datasvcutil.exe tool (previously webdatagen.exe) that creates the client side entities of a data service.
- System.Data.Services.Client.dll (previously Microsoft.Data.WebClient.dll) – Client side support for consuming data services from a .Net application.
ASP.Net Dynamic Data
- System.Web.DynamicData.dll – Contains the implementation of the Dynamic Data Framework for ASP.Net with support for both LINQ to SQL objects and ADO.Net Entity Framework entities.
- System.Web.DynamicData.Design.dll – Contains the Design-Time support for the Dynamic Data Controls.
- System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll – Metadata and customization support for Dynamic Data Pages and Controls.
ASP.Net MVC Framework / Routing Engine
The ASP.Net MVC Framework is not part of Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta1.
- System.Web.Routing.dll – The Routing Engine that was originally part of it, was refactored to be an independent component that can be used regardless of the MVC Framework (For example – the Dynamic Data Framework uses it).
- System.Web.Abstractions.dll – Contains several wrapper classes such as HttpContextBase that are being used by the Routing Engine.
General ASP.Net Extensions Support
- System.Web.Extensions.dll – Contains several extensions to ASP.Net 3.5 that were already been introduced in the ASP.Net Extensions Preview, such as the new ScriptManager for ASP.Net Ajax.
- System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll – Contains the Design-Time support for the new ASP.Net Extensions.