Bullshit Bingo – How to stay awake in meetings
Do you keep falling asleep in meetings and seminars? What about those long and boring conference calls? Here's a way to change all of that.
1. Before (or during) your next meeting, seminar, or conference call, prepare yourself by drawing a square. I find that 5" x 5" is a good size. Divide the card into columns – five across and five down. That will give you 25 one-inch blocks.
2. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block:
* strategic fit
* core competences
* best practice
* bottom line
* to tell you the truth (or "the truth is")
* out of the loop
* think outside the box
* fast track
* empower (or empowerment)
* knowledge base
* at the end of the day
* touch base
* client focus(ed)
* game plan
3. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those
4. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or diagonally,
stand up and shout "BULLSHIT!"
Testimonials from satisfied "Bullshit Bingo" players:
"I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won." – Adam,
"My attention span at meetings has improved dramatically." –
"What a gas! Meetings will never be the same for me after my first win." –
"The atmosphere was tense in the last process meeting as 14 of us waited for the fifth box." – Ben,
"The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed 'BULLSHIT!' for the third time in two hours." – Paul, Cleveland
Enjoy your meetings – Bullshit Bingo!
[Update September 29th, 2006] There is a downloadable version of this document with an already made 5×5 square here.