Moss2007, Wss 3.0 & Office2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) RTM
Moss2007, Wss 3.0 & Office2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) RTM
The Microsoft SharePoint Team Blog has announced about “Announcing Service Pack 2 for Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0”
As mentioned, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SDK 1.5, the release was expected. But this announcement failed to mention the Download details: The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
KB Article Links
Description of Microsoft Office Suite 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and of Microsoft Office Language Pack 2007 SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953195
Description of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP2 and of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Language Pack SP2
Description of Microsoft Office servers 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and of 2007 Microsoft Office servers Language Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Download Links Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office Suite 2007 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B444BF18-79EA-46C6-8A81-9DB49B4AB6E5 Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2007 Language Pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E1203DB2-1CC9-4809-9B6E-3F232CB8899F
Service Pack 2 for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, x86 & x64
Service Pack 2 for Office SharePoint Server 2007, x86 & x64
Slipstream Builds For Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with SP2, x64
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with SP2, x86
Overview for Office Suite 2007
The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) provides customers with the latest updates to the 2007 Office suite (the products that are affected by this update are listed below). This download includes two types of fixes:
- Previously unreleased fixes that were made specifically for this service pack.
- In addition to general product fixes, this includes improvements in stability, performance, and security.
- You can find out more information in Knowledge Base Article 953195, where product-specific changes are described.
- All of the Public Updates, Security Updates, Cumulative Updates, and Hotfixes released through February 2009.
Before installing this service pack, you are strongly encouraged to read 953195, which describes some big improvements introduced by SP2, and also calls out some important information that you should be aware of before installing.
There are MORE than a few updates to the applications by them selves, but I choose to add the global changes, and to put in bold what I think is important
Changes that affect multiple products in Office Suite 2007
- OpenDocument Format (ODF) support
SP2 lets you open, edit, and save documents in version 1.1 of the ODF for Word (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/FX100649251033.aspx) , for Excel (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/FX100646951033.aspx) , and for PowerPoint (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint/FX100648951033.aspx) . Users of these Office programs can now open, edit, and save files in the OpenDocument Text (*.odt), OpenDocument Spreadsheet (*.ods), and OpenDocument Presentations (*.odp) formats.
- Extensible file formats
Extensible File Formats: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint now include a converter interface that lets you plug third-party custom file formats into these Office programs. A developer can create a converter for files of a particular extension. When this converter is installed on a user’s computer, the custom file format effectively behaves like a built-in file format. Specifically, users can open files of this format and save them by using the Open or Save UI. They can even set the custom format as their default file format. For more information, visit the following MSDN Web site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd300649.aspx
- Built-in Save As PDF/XPS support
PDF/XPS support is built into SP2 for Word, for Excel, and for PowerPoint. Users no longer have to download the add-in separately.
- Improves application performance when many graphic objects are present, especially for Excel 2007.
- Fixes several issues that involve the object model. These fixes let you better achieve parity with Office 2003 when the object model works with graphical objects.
- Increases printing fidelity of graphical objects in many scenarios.
- A new XML-based representation of each SmartArt graphic in a document is saved with the file to optimize interoperability. This new feature uses the standard DrawingML markup to describe the visual properties of the SmartArt graphic.
- Improves the Edit Points feature. This enables more accurate shape editing and increased interoperability with Office 2003.
- Fixes certain scenarios in which documents in trusted locations were treated as non-trusted.
- Improves several cryptographic or encryption scenarios.
- Provides a method to ignore time stamping expiration.
- Provides better security warnings when a certificate is revoked.
- An updated password algorithm that is in sync with the document ISO requirements.
- Provides an ISO-OOXML-compliant password verifier for Excel, for PowerPoint, and for Word.
- Enables smarter AVAPI blocking for encrypted macros.
Overview of some of the improvements for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
Microsoft Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
- Improves the performance and stability of the content deployment feature and of the Variations feature.
- Adds a new command to the Stsadm.exe tool. This tool provides the following functionality:
- Lets a SharePoint administrator use the Variations feature to scan a site for errors, report the errors, and fix certain problems.
- Finds and repairs missing peer relationships and corrupted entries in the internal variations relationships list.
- Handles the propagation of large volumes of variations content in a more manageable way.
Microsoft Office Forms Server
- Improves performance of large browser forms on InfoPath Form Services, both for memory usage and for page load time.
- Improves reliability of Forms Server and of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server by addressing the previous behavior in which an upgrade of an administrator-approved form template triggers an IIS reset.
- Improves the Digital Signature functionality for InfoPath Forms Services.
Microsoft Office Search Server
- Improves the reliability and stability of WSS crawl, of SharePoint crawl, of crawling through a very large corpus, and of backup restore.
- Introduces a new command to the Stsadm.exe tool that lets a SharePoint administrator tune the Query processor multiplier parameter. For example, the Query processor multiplier can be used to tune the query performance for SSP indexing content sources that have highly restrictive permissions and many duplicates.
- Improves the accuracy of searches that involve numbers. For example, there is additional support for large numbers in which a comma is used to separate every three digits (for example, 1,000,000), for numbers that are between 9 and 40 characters, and for numbers that are separated by spaces.
- Provides full support for Windows Internet Explorer 8.
- Provides level 2 browser support for Mozilla Firefox (versions 2 and 3).
- Provides support for Windows Server 2008. ( which was already there in SP1 )