Cumulative Update Package 9 for SQL Server 2005 SP2

August 19, 2008

CU9 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 has just been released, which I should have guessed as the grounds have also been made for Cumulative Update Package 10 as well.

It seems that you may need CU9 to correct a bug caused from installing Cumulative Update Package 7. What’s the problem? Apparently you may get an error message after installing CU7, when you explicitly define a slice at a partition and then process the partition by using a query that returns no records. To read more about the problem that may arise from CU7, that was fixed in CU9, please check the Knowledge Base Article detailing the error message that can come when you process a partition. Another problem that’s fixed is for an MDX query that’s run against a Parent – Child dimension that has the HideMemberIf property set to ParentIsBlankSelfOrMissing.

You can read further about Cumulative Update Package 9 for SQL Server 2005 SP 2 and then also request a download of CU9.

Still, I have to ask, now that SQL Server 2008 has RTM-ed, when is SP3 going to be released?…

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Rotem BloomAugust 20, 2008 ב 0:50

Do you recommended installing CU9 and 10 on servers that does not bump into problems that CU solves?

2. Ella MaschiachAugust 20, 2008 ב 7:01

Hi Rotem,

Well if to quote Microsoft itself from he CU page given as a link in the post, under the subject of “How to obtain Cumulative Update 9 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2″ they clearly state that:
    “It (the CU) is intended to correct only the problems that are described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing these specific problems.”
    So if you are experiencing the problems described in the Knowledge Base article then I would recommend you download it.

3. mikeAugust 25, 2008 ב 12:11

and with SP3, will CU9 fixes be included in it?

4. PedroCGDAugust 25, 2008 ב 17:28

Hi Ella!
    Good question… for when SQL 2005 SP3?
    I resolved a big problem some weeks ago because I doesn’t have cumulative package 7 that resolve a problem related with SSAS services that stop unexpectally! :-(
    Cheers!!!
    pedro

5. Ella MaschiachAugust 26, 2008 ב 2:07

Well SQL Server 2005 SP3 should include CU9 in it, but I don’t know when it’s suppose to ship. Last time I read about it, they only announced it should be out after SQL Server 2008 RTMs

6. BrianOctober 30, 2008 ב 4:49

Do you know if problems fixed in eg. CU4 are also included in CU9? Thing is, I was aiming to solve a problem on SQL2005 SP2 that should be fixed with CU4. However, the server was patched up to 3073 which is a patch not included in any CU until CU9, meaning that the server could not be patched to anything lower than 3282.

Do you know this, or will I have to get hold of MS support+ :)

7. Ella MaschiachOctober 30, 2008 ב 6:14

Hi Brian,

Well I went through the knowledge base article for all Cumulative Updates that came out and I didn’t see any patch work done in CU 9 for fixes in CU 4. There were fixes though included in CU 5 for things done in CU 4.

Hope that helps,
    Ella

8. BrianOctober 30, 2008 ב 6:28

Hi Ella,
    Thank you for your answer, but my question is actually more basic than that :)

To narrow it in without my fuzzy explanation:
    Do you know if a new CU includes fixes made in older CUs?

Sort of like:
    CU1 = fixes since SP2
    CU2 = CU1 + New fixes.
    CU3 = CU1 + CU2 + New fixes.

Hope that explains my question better :)

9. Ella MaschiachOctober 30, 2008 ב 9:39

Hi Brian,

Well I think I get you this time…

If you read under “More Information” which appears under every Cumulative Update KB article, you’ll see they state that “it (the relevant CU) is intended to correct only the problems that are described in this article”. And what they list are usually new problems fixed or patches on old CUs. They don’t list all the same problems that appeared in earlier CUs (unless, again, that they needed re-fixing).

If you look at a post from SQL Server Release Services, you’ll see that Service Packs, on the other hand, are described as “A rollup of all hotfix work done against the software branch to date”. You can read more about it all in their post.

Hope that helped this time,

Ella

10. BrianOctober 30, 2008 ב 16:15

Hi Ella,
    That’s also what I thought (and feared). Guess I’ll have to contact MS support in order to find out what I can do to overcome my problems.

Thank you very much for your assistance :)

11. BrianNovember 12, 2008 ב 4:21

Hi again,
    To follow up on my question to you, I have just talked to a contact within microsoft who informed me that cumulative rollups also contain earlier rollups :)