Patterns & Practices Application Architecture Guide 2.0 Release
J.D. Meier has just announced about the Application Architecture Guide 2.0 Final Release which can be downloaded from the Application Architecture Guide 2.0 as part of the CodePlex's Patterns & Practices Application Architecture Guide. The book is in the main stream of Patterns & Practices guidelines in such that it provides a concise ( nutshell like ) Architectural Guideline Checklist. If you’re a beginner or intermediate in Architecture and want to be updated, this is the Book for you – it’s FREE , it’s Electronic, it was written by one of the Top Architects, it’s updated (RIA) ….
- Learn about the typical general approach to designing application architectures.
- Learn about the different types of applications that you can build.
- Learn about the key factors you must consider when designing application architectures.
- Learn about the layered approach to application design.
- Learn about the quality attributes that affect the overall success and acceptance of an application.
- Architecture and Design Solutions At a Glance
- Fast Track <— if you have only 5 sec to see what’s all about , start here
Part I, Fundamentals
- Chapter 1 – Fundamentals of Application Architecture
- Chapter 2 – .NET Platform Overview
- Chapter 3 – Architecture and Design Guidelines
Part II, Design
- Chapter 4 – Designing Your Architecture
- Chapter 5 – Deployment Patterns
- Chapter 6 – Architectural Styles
- Chapter 7 – Quality Attributes
- Chapter 8 – Communication Guidelines
Part III, Layers
- Chapter 9 – Layers and Tiers
- Chapter 10 – Presentation Layer Guidelines
- Chapter 11 – Business Layer Guidelines
- Chapter 12 – Data Access Layer Guidelines
- Chapter 13 – Service Layer Guidelines
Part IV, Archetypes
- Chapter 14 – Application Archetypes
- Chapter 15 – Web Applications
- Chapter 16 – Rich Internet Applications (RIA)
- Chapter 17 – Rich Client Applications
- Chapter 18 – Services
- Chapter 19 – Mobile Applications
- Chapter 20 – Office Business Applications (OBA)
- Chapter 21 – SharePoint Line-Of-Business (LOB) Applications
- Cheat Sheet – patterns & practices Pattern Catalog
- Cheat Sheet – Presentation Technology Matrix
- Cheat Sheet – Data Access Technology Matrix
- Cheat Sheet – Workflow Technology Matrix
- Cheat Sheet – Integration Technology Matrix
Take into notice that the book provides design-level guidance for the architecture and design of applications built on the .NET Framework. It focuses on the most common types of applications, partitioning application functionality into layers, components, and services, and walks through their key design characteristics. This guide is a collaborative effort between patterns & practices, product teams, and industry experts.
Another book which I highly recommend ( it’s arriving as we speak from Amazon ) is Framework Design Guidelines, 2nd Edition ( I have read the first one , and it was great )