BizTalk Server 2006 R3 Announced
Today, Steve Martin announced in his post BizTalk Server Platform Updates a few details about the next version of BizTalk2006 (that will be available in early 2009) Called BizTalk Server 2006 R3.
It seems that once SQL Server 2008 becomes generally available, an updated version of BizTalk Server 2006 is expected to be released. BizTalk Server 2006 R3 is designed for Windows Server 2008, the .NET Framework 3.5, Visual Studio 2008, and SQL Server 2008.
new investments in the release include:
- New web service registry capabilities with support for UDDI (Universal Description Discovery and Integration) version 3.0
- Enhanced service enablement of applications (through new and enhanced adapters for LOB applications, databases, and legacy/host systems)
- Enhanced service enablement of "edge" devices through BizTalk RFID Mobile
- Enhanced interoperability and connectivity support for B2B protocols (like SWIFT, EDI, etc)
- SOA patterns and best practices guidance to assist our customer’s implementations
To ensure existing BizTalk Server 2006 applications continue to run without changes, an incremental approach by limiting the changes to the items listed above was taken.
Because this release is built on existing bits, the name of this release will be BizTalk Server 2006 R3.