The schema version (188.8.131.52) of the database sps_content_db on MOSS
I have installed the other day two patched:
Security Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 x64 Edition (KB934525)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=667335DD-DF2E-4F14-A130-5758701BE055&displaylang=en
Security Update for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 x64 (KB937832)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1D319164-D133-4493-BE27-1AEDA62362C4&displaylang=en
… which you can read about in here:
Description of the security update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: October 9, 2007
The point is that after reset to the Server I got this error in the Event Log:
The schema version (184.108.40.206) of the database spscontentdb on XSQLMOSS is not consistent with the expected database schema version (220.127.116.11) on XMOSS. Connections to this database from this server have been blocked to avoid data loss. Upgrade the web front end or the content database to ensure that these versions match.
This error was the "only" explanation of why the SharePoint Portal , and SharePoint Admin Site wouldn't run/start :'(
After a few google-ing and not finding any thing I had to find the wheel by my self
Ok, the solution is that for each relevant DB in the EventLog you should go to the Versions table in the DBs look for the schema version which is "wrong" and update it to the "correct" one.
The point is that each time you apply a patch to the WSS/MOSS, the WSS/MOSS "randomly" auto-increments , in our case it was in the "small version".
And , NO, you can't install the patch on the SQL Server – Ahh, yes, I forgot to mention the fact that this is a Small Farm: On one server there's the MOSS (with Index and search service) , and on the other there's the SQL Server which didn't get the patch version.